Select Page

Kate and Dan Ballard writes
We are planning a visit to Burma for 28 days this May. We would like to fly into Yangon, tour the country in a clockwise direction and cross into Thailand overland using the [ferry] border crossing at Kawthaung in the far south. Do you know if this is possible or do you have to fly out?
Gill Chariton, consumer expert, replies
First of all, be aware that the monsoon rains begin around May 20 and the prolonged downpours make many roads impassable. The sea is also unpleasantly rough. It is possible to exit Burma from Kawthaung to Ranong in Thailand by sea. However, as with all Burma’s overland crossings, this can only be done with special permission, which can be refused at any time -even after it has been granted. Such pennissions are obtained through local travel agents who need plenty of advance notice. AudleyTravel (01993 838100; says it is easier to get permission to enter Burma using the Ranong-Kawthaung crossing rather than exit this way. It can organise a sea safari through the Mergui archipelago from Kawthaung from around £1,500 per person for six days in a shared, crewed yacht. But, as foreigners are not officially allowed to travel by boat or road from this border area, you would need to fly into or
out of Kawthaung to access the rest of Burma.
Ask the experts
Our Q&A service allows you can pick the brains of our experts at home and abroad. Email your query to We won’t be able to answer them all, but we will do our best.
About Gill Charlton
Gill is the author of our beginner’s guides to India and Burma. She is also an expert on Cornwall and consumer issues,especially legal disputes.
Source from traveller journal, 14 to 20 July,2014